Go Indians!
38095 State Route 39 | Salineville, OH 43945 | Ph: 330-679-2305 | Fx: 330-679-0193


Southern Local School District Summary of Assessment

Southern Local School District has undergone significant changes since 1990 building assessment. In 1990 the District operated five schools. Number Sixteen Elementary School was a 8,998 s.f. 1938 building which they used for grades K-4. Franklin Elementary School was a 7,500 s.f. 1923/1938/1950 building which they used for grades K-4. Highlandtown Elementary School was a 7,980 s.f. 1940 building which they used for grades 1-4. Southern Middle School was a 31,917 s.f. 1938 building which they used for grades 5-8. Southern Local High School was a 49,952 s.f. 1962 building which they used for grades 9-12.

In 1991, the District closed/sold Number Sixteen Elementary School and Franklin Elementary SchoolHighlandtown Elementary School had temporary modular classrooms placed on site, was renamed Southern Primary School and used for grades K-2. Southern Middle School was renamed Southern Intermediate School and used for grades 3-6. Southern Local High School had temporary modular classrooms placed on-site and is now used for grades 7-12.

In January of 2002 the Board of Education and Administrators braved the cold for a groundbreaking ceremony for the new K-12 complex. Construction for this new campus began in March of 2002.

December of 2002 saw students and staff of the Jr/Sr High packing and moving into the elementary wing so that construction renovation could be completed on the high school wing.

November of 2003 the Jr/Sr High students and staff began occupation of the current K-12 complex. By January of 2004 all students and staff claimed ownership of the new Southern Local K-12 complex.

 

Southern Local Primary School

Southern Local Primary School (7,980 s.f. K-2 building), formerly known as Highlandtown Elementary School, was constructed in 1953. 3,985 s.f. of temporary modular classrooms were replaced on-site in 1991. Two separate modular classrooms also existed on this site. Due to costs associated with bringing this school up to standards established by the Ohio School Facilities Commission, this school qualifies for total building replacement. The probable costs for new construction/addition and reconstruction of the existing building exceed two-thirds of the cost. The choice then was made to replace the building with a new building.

Southern Local Intermediate

Southern Local Intermediate School (31,917 s.f. 3-6 building), formerly known as Southern Middle School was constructed in 1938. Due to costs associated with bringing this school up to the standards established by the Ohio School Facilities Commission, this school qualified for total building replacement, again the probable costs for new construction/addition and reconstruction of the existing building exceeded two-thirds of the cost to replace the buildings with a new building.

In the fall of 2004 the building was auctioned off to the Salineville Assembly of God Church. During the winter/spring of 2005 the building was razed.

Southern Local High School

Southern Local High School 949,952 s.f. (7-12 building), was constructed in 1962. 9,838 s.f. of temporary modular classrooms were replaced on site in 1991. Renovation, system replacement, and additional square footage will be necessary to bring the existing building up to the standards set up by the Ohio School Facilities Commission.

The on-site evaluation of the schools indicated that the costs associated with bringing Southern Primary School and Southern Intermediate School to the standards established by the Ohio School Facilities Commission qualified them for total building replacement. Due to cost considerations and site restrictions at the two former sites, the  recommendation was  to rebuild Southern Primary School and Southern Intermediate as an addition to Southern High School thus creating a K-12 complex.

 


Contact Us   Directions